1212 0  tfmf welljd45q2q5dv45pvlnqh45 d16c375d 9d3d 4807 b6e8 d16517f698df 0 photoup
  • News
  • March 25, 2015

Are you getting your money back?

Individuals and families, including single-parent families, could be eligible to receive a number of Ontario tax credits and benefits that will put money back into their pockets

Did you know?

You must file a tax return every year to apply for these credits and benefits – even if you received social assistance or didn’t earn income.

You must complete forms ON-BEN and ON479, which are part of the T1 General Income Tax and Benefit Return package.

See how much you or your family may be eligible for by using Ontario’s tax credit calculator at

If you need help filing your tax return, assistance is available. You can find a volunteer tax preparation clinic near you, learn where to get free tax preparation software, or find out more about tax filing by visiting the website of the Canada Revenue Agency at

Direct deposit is the easiest and fastest way to receive your payments.

Ontario Trillium Benefit

File your 2014 tax return to find out if you’re eligible for the 2015 Ontario Trillium Benefit, which combines:

• up to $23.92 a month for each member of your family from the Ontario Sales Tax Credit

• up to $82.75 a month from the Ontario Energy and Property Tax Credit

• up to $11.92 a month for a single person or $18.42 a month for a family from the Northern Ontario

Energy Credit

Starting this tax season, you can choose to receive this benefit in a single payment in June 2016 by checking box 6109 on the ON-BEN form in your tax return. If you do not check the box, you will get monthly payments from July 2015 to June 2016. If your entitlement for the year is $360 or less, you will receive a single payment in July 2015 regardless of whether you choose monthly or single payments.

Ontario Child Benefit

If you have children under age 18, you can get up to $1,336 for each child for the 2015-16 benefit year. This is paid along with the Canada Child Tax Benefit. If you have questions about this benefit, call the Canada Revenue Agency at 1 800 387-1193.

Children’s Activity Tax Credit

If you paid to register your child, or your spouse’s or common-law partner’s child, in activities such as painting classes, soccer, hockey or music lessons, you can claim up to $541 in eligible expenses and get up to $54.10 for 2014 for each child under age 16.

You can receive up to $108.20 for 2014 for each child with a disability who was under age 18. Keep your receipts and file your tax return.

Healthy Homes Renovation Tax Credit

The Healthy Homes Renovation Tax Credit is a refundable personal income tax credit for seniors and family members who live with them. If you qualify, you can claim up to $10,000 worth of eligible home improvements on your tax return for a maximum credit of $1,500.

The amount of money you get back for these expenses is calculated as 15 per cent of the eligible expenses you claim. For example, if you spend and then claim $10,000 worth of eligible expenses, you could get $1,500 back after you file your tax return. Keep your receipts.

For a non-senior to qualify for the credit, you need to be living with a family member who is a senior, and have paid for home improvements that increase the mobility, safety or accessibility of the senior family member in the home.


Pdf icon

Keep in Mind...

This website is provided for your convenience. If you'd prefer to call or email, my staff and I would be happy to hear from you.

Top Stories

Twitter Feed